Re: [Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

Re: [Amc-list] Motor Oil & Filter Confusion (where do I start)

I wonder why we never had a problem. 20 years is a long time to be lucky.  seems you had many costomers over the last 40 years with oil problems. Strange

Bruce Hevner <scramblr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  >Here's an idea... Why not change the oil and filter before it gets so
dirty oil can no longer pass thru it? I guess >people are just that
lazy. We run 80 LBs of pressure on our race engine and must block off
the bypass. Why do >you supose Amc stopped making the bypass in the
later filter adapters?
> Course this is just my experience in the last 20 or so years of racing
amc's
Davis

Only 20 years?? Heck I was racing my Javelin 343 in NHRA stock/Automatic
class in 1968. Started working at a High performance engine shop in 1966
as a floor sweep and worked my way up (good ole OJT baby). Now an ASE
Certified Master Engine Machinist (3 times). Had my own engine shop for
18 years before I found out how much consulting small business on their
computer networks pays!! (I still run a Carquest machine shop for them
part time)

Bypass is for more than just dirty oil, it will kick open anytime the
pressure differential across the media is above the specified value.
Like when cold or high flow conditions.
High oil pressure is NO reason to remove the bypass. PLENTY of motors
run that kind of pressure and never have any problems with the bypass.
The reason they probably removed it from the engine is it's also in the
filter being used and there's no reason to run two (it won't hurt to run
two but it WILL to not run any). MANY engines have the bypass integrated
in the filter. That relieves the Mfg from having to make it. That way
the bypass is changed every time the filter is changed.
I have experienced lots of customers over the years complaining of
"ballooning" filters, blown oil filter seals and actually blowing the
canister completely off the car leaving just the base screwed to the
block!!
In EVERY case it was a missing oil FILTER bypass valve!!
Of course you can do as you please to your motors, I'm just trying to
help folks avoid tragedy by relaying over FORTY years of engine building
experience.
But HEY,,, that's just ME!!
Bruce Hevner