Re: [Amc-list] American transmissions; T14 vs T96, more

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Tom Jennings wrote:

> I am so unbelivably curious about the R10 OD unit adapter plate
> that I may disassemble the T14 to see if the T96 R10 adapter
> fits it... clearly the output shaft is different, but if that
> were the only part I had to get... it would mean you could MAKE

I forgot to say -- what makes this not completely nuts to think
about is the fact that the T14 fits the early american bell
-- it means that the input shaft height relative to the cast
box is the same -- therefore the output shaft is in the same
plane. It's not inconcevable that the backside is close enough.

THe trans and OD share oil, but that's not really required --
it's just convenient. They both have fill and drain plugs. All
that's on the trans side of the adapter is the bearing retainer
that centers the OD adapter into the trans case, and the shifter
OD lockout rod (locks OD out when you shift into reverse). You
could live without that latter part though it woudl be
inconvenient -- I'd do it in a minute if it would otherwise work.

Anyways all I gotta take off the T14 is the tailhousing, since
the T96 is disassembled already. If it's a no-go, 5 minutes
it's sealed up again.