Re: [Amc-list] Brake Drums for a 63 American

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Joe Smith wrote:

> The Napa brake drums might be right, but I gave up and took
> it to a local shop and am letting that guy find the drums.  >
> On the first try, his supplier got the rear drums right, but
> the fronts are not.  They are the correct size for the shoes and
> all, but the wheels don't fit back on them, so now his supplier
> is bringing in a couple of different brands to find ones that
> aren't so "deep".  I will post what brands and numbers we end
> up with here and in my blog.  IMHO, no one should advertise
> things they don't carry, but then that would mean having to
> update their websites.  > > http://360.yahoo.com/karl_haart > > >

The front and rear drums on that car are identical, or should
be if the car is unmodified. 9x2 drums are flat on top; 9x2.5
drums have a concavity that ONLY early American wheels will
not fit. The early american wheels are very odd, probably a
Nash holdover. THey're not "AMC" wheels. All "AMC" wheels fit
9x2 and 9x2.5 drums (and 10", and disc).

The shoes held up to 9x2.5 drums probably look like a good fit,
but the difference is relatively subtle. Even assembled onto the
front hub they will clear the backing plates and everything --
but they won't work. Here's my notes etc...

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Drums/