Re: [Amc-list] Removing broken bleeder valve, cleaning brake shoe of bra

Re: [Amc-list] Removing broken bleeder valve, cleaning brake shoe of brake fluid

Bruce,

If its not leaking now, you are very unlikely to have any mysterious
leaks start on you. One thing that can happen is the flares can set to
the shape of the devices they were in. If that happens, loosening and
tightening a few times will take care of the problem. The lines seal
with the flare on them so you don't need to have them super tight. Also,
a little bit of anti-seize on the bleeder screws (just the threaded
parts) helps.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Okay. Tried extracting the bleeder valve, no good. I replaced the
> wheel cylinder ($44.95 plus tax for tightening it too tight! That was
> "tuition"!). I checked the brake shoes - and they were nice and dry.
> No issues. I sprayed 'em down with brake cleaner, sprayed the drum
> down as well, installed, bled the brakes and tested it.
>
> No issues around the neighborhood at 5 to 20 miles an hour. Not taking
> it out on the road until I change the tires (there are some DEEP
> cracks in them), replace the harmonic balancer and replace the water
> pump. Anyway - I'll continue testing before making a toss versus
> re-use decision.
>
> I checked for leaks and will keep an eye on it. Maybe carry an extra
> bottle of brake fluid until I'm sure it's right. I'm trying to balance
> between too loose and leaking versus too tight and breaking stuff,
> lol.
>
> Anyway - it's driving well around the neighborhood (but may need to go
> into a shop for front end work - that might be beyond me).

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon