Re: [Amc-list] ZDDP Mobil Oil List

>100w?!?  and it specifically says you're not to run the engine on it
>for any extended time.

It's SAE equivalent is straight 50W, which is about right for a preservative oil I would think; thick enough to stick, but suitable for warm weather or pre-heated only, and let it warm nice & long before kicking the throttle.

Aeroshell rates their fixed-weight oils like:

65  = 30 SAE
80  = 40 SAE
100 = 50 SAE

If they're prefixed with a W, then they're "ashless dispersant" (used in air-cooled aircraft engines for anti-detonation reasons). The non W oils are straight mineral base, typically used for break-in.

The reason the layup oil isn't meant for long term use is the lack of a dispersant, meaning that metal particles won't disperse throughout the oil, and will remain localized around high pressure areas where the wear occurs.

- steve c.