Re: [Amc-list] Harmonic Balancer not terribly balanced - repairs or repl

Re: [Amc-list] Harmonic Balancer not terribly balanced - repairs or replace?

Bruce, the repair sleeve isn't likely to fix your problem. It's more for a worn crank than a worn balancer. There is a thin rubber section between the pulley part of the balancer and the balancer hub. Yours has more than likely deteriorated to the point it's no longer doing it's job, and could come apart. I say this due to the age of the balancer. Damper Doctor will remove the old rubber and replace it with a similar, newer synthetic material that will most likely last longer than the original. $100 for a rebuilt one (after sending the old one) is a good deal -- or give Kennedy $149. You'll probably spend $20-$25 on shipping both ways, but what can you do with one that's about to come apart? The pulley ring could come off and go through a hood or radiator -- I'd seen it happen before!

----------------
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 09:36:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

  Okay - the harmonic balancer on my '65 Rambler American w/ 196OHV is
mighty wobbly. When running the engine, I can see that it is not true
all the way around, and the fan belt is moving because of it.

Kennedy American has replacements for 149. Napa sells a repair sleeve
for $10. I'm guessing - remove the old one, bore it out, sleeve it -
and hope it's straight. How have folks dealt with harmonic balancers?
Do they go out of plane, or would I remove and reseat it?

So: remove/reseat, sleeve and repair, or replace?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"