Re: [Amc-list] Need verification of Con-Rod # 3191739

Re: [Amc-list] Need verification of Con-Rod # 3191739

A few words about part numbers.

Manufacturers assign part numbers to parts at all stages of the
manufacturing process.  What we see in the parts books is a subset of
part numbers made available to dealers for service operations.  The
manufacturer needs to keep track of unmachined castings, but only
sells finished parts to dealers.  It is possible for a raw casting to
be machined into two or more finished parts, depending on the
finishing operation.

Another example is in plastics.  There are AMC plastic interior parts
that were molded in multiple colors, with the part numbers for the
various colors molded into the back side.  However, for service, only
a black part was offered, with the intent that it be painted by the
dealer to match the interior.

--Glen