Re: [Amc-list] Question on 2BBL aftermarket carbs - 91 GW

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Todd Tomason wrote:

> I've had good experience with rebuilds from National Carburetors
> (http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/).  They do a complete, thorough rebuild,
> but they're not cheap.  The price listed for your 2150 is $189.

I haven't used them yet, but in this age, Tomco rebuilds are
ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT! Even when they're available, the cores
they are getting are really ancient and pitted.

The carbs we're talking about are 30+ years old, they're not just
"used"... they're "antique"!

I've had good luck buying NOS or NORS or old rebuilt carbs on
eBay then rebuilding those. It's a slight gamble, but not much. A
carb rebuilt back in the 70's or 80's is like going back in a
time machine.  THe gaskets are really old (hence the rebuild)
but the metal's generally good.

If that doesn't pan out I would not hesitate to try National
Carburetors. $150 - $200 for a lifetime warrenty like-new carb
that just bolts on and works is a good deal today.