Re: [Amc-list] Thanks for the tip on the brake lights, ...

Re: [Amc-list] Thanks for the tip on the brake lights, ...

Mark,

You don't need to do that anymore! New lenses (turn signal, back up, and
tail light) and gaskets are available and they're not expensive. The
turn signal and back up stuff fits 64 - 69, the tail light lenses are 67-69.

Matt

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Neat trick, hope I remember it when I need it!
> I just took apart every housing I had [I have a lot!] till I found a good gasket!
> Cleaned everything up and put it back together.
>
> --
> Mark Price
> Morgantown, WV
> 1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, Quadratrc II
> " Chronic Pain Hurts"

> From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Do, not seal the lenses in with siliconeo r other sealer.
>>> Get or make new gaskets.
>>> sealing with sealer seals in moisture that creeps in past the socket and
>> wires.
>>> Then it all corrodes, quickly.
>>> Been there done that.
>>> Oh, yeah, you break the lense prying it off the silicone too :[
>>> Good thing I had spares.
>> I did that too!! But now I make gaskets WITH silicone...
>>
>> Nice neat bead on the housing, let it partially cure, then apply
>> silicone GREASE to the lens edge, press into place to shape
>> the silicone. Sometimes screw on til it just touches. Tighten
>> the next day.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com