Re: [Amc-list] 196 OHV - removing head, diagnosing rings

Re: [Amc-list] 196 OHV - removing head, diagnosing rings

By pulling the head you will be able to see the
cylinder bores above the piston travel area.  If you
see a line of scratches on a bore, you might have a
broken ring, but you will not be able to tell for sure
unless you remove that piston assembly from the bore.

It might not be a bad idea to inspect the bores. It's
a judgement call, depending on how you want to use the
car and how much effort you want to put into a repair.

You might have a ring of rust in one or more cylinders
that causes the "clicking" noise when the rings travel
over it.

Joe Fulton