Re: [Amc-list] Low Oil Pressure when warm, 58 Rambler American

It can also indicate a lot of sludge (and other stuff, like busted up valve seals) in the oil pan that is blocking off the oil pump screen at higher RPM. I nearly lost my 400 Cleveland (came from an old Canadian cop car. ) when I ran against a Buick Wildcat. I stomped on the gas, did the upshift, then back to first stomp for more kick and thought I lost a rod. The oil pump seized up and stopped the dist from turning. I went home from the 1/4 mile that night on a tow truck. When I dropped the pan, I found that all the valve seals had clogged off the screen and also the oil returns in the head. New set of bearings, valve seals and an oil pump, and I was back terrorizing the local strip in no time (till I got bored and got an even faster Mazda RX2 I retrofitted with a Cosmo 3 rotor, NOs and 2 turbos)

From: Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] Low Oil Pressure when warm, 58 Rambler American
To: amc list <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark,

If your oil pressure is fine when cold and goes down low once warm, that typically indicates loose bearing clearance.  It should also go up once you increase the RPMs.  The engine can still run fine with loose bearing clearance as performance is not specifically tied to that.  Cam bearings can be slightly worn for a while before it will cause you heartache.  Mains will not last as long once they have become too loose.  If they are bad, the next sign you will have that they are bad is going to be a knocking noise and then lock up if the bearing spins.You could try the pump first but most likely not your problem unless it has low oil pressure at all rpms.

Nick,

Alfano Performance