Re: [Amc-list] 63 Classic gask tanks

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> You make it sound so easy when you write "popped out the sender"!  My experience with these is that they're pretty well rusted on, and those three little prongs are weak and want to bend rather than allow you to put force on them to turn them.

(I wrote that 'sender' bit in response to Joe...)

I've never had one hard to remove, but I've never removed one
from an East Coast car...

Do you mean, the flat ring with three tabs, that pushes the
sender unit onto it's O-ring, that "bayonets" into the tank's
three protrusions?

I just rap each of them anti-clockwise with a screwdriver bit,
with my palm or small block of wood, doing each so it moves
about 1/8" or so, after two - three times around it comes out
pretty easily.

> Also, this tank has a think layer of Brown Gunk in the bottom, but appears to be a very solid tank otherwise.  Suggestions on what de-gunkifying solution to use?

In the past, I think it is true that you really could drive on old gas.
The stuff today gets REALLY NASTY.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Gas-tank/

I wish I could say it was an easy job -- it wasn't. Hopefully
yours isn't this bad. Mine bent pushrods and needed a valve job,
that's how bad gas tank gunk can be.