Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Oh, I fogrot to mention that while added weight is added weight.
> On an early American with a 4.0L and trunkmounted battery. That 75lbs is better served to be in the rear!

Yeah, but ABOVE the springs, not BELOW them! You want a high
sprung/unsprung weight ratio, eg. ideally the suspension would
weigh 0 lbs and the springs have zero mass, and only suspension
parts would react to non-flat surfaces. In the real world,
in our front engine/rear drive cars, the butt is light and the
axle heavy; really rough surfaces, the energy gets transferred
to the heavy axle (only the tires deforming) and the energy gets
"averaged" in the unsprung parts, and the wheels leave the ground
(wheel hop, etc) especially under power...

> I'd like to get my hands on a set of circle track scales some
day in see what the weight balance ends up being on my car!

You can do it with a bathroom scale and 4:1 or 5:1 lever... weld
one up!  I think I've seen 'em for sale in car mags. You'd
have to block the car level. One front, one rear would do...
though you wouldn't get to see how much lateral weight difference
there is.