Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 1-bbl

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Ted Dooling wrote:

> I sent out an email last Monday asking if I could beef up
> my 232 that I thought had about 140 hp. I received a lot of
> replies with detailed information, much of which I need help
> interpreting since I have never gone further than changing a
> carburetor. I have printed them all out and I'm grateful for
> everyone's response. It's comforting to know there are so many
> dedicated and knowledgeable AMC fans out there. Well I took the
> air cleaner off to find out I have a 1 bbl which I am told means
> probably about 120 hp at most so I have room for improvement. My
> questions now are what modifications if any do I need to do to
> install a 2bbl? Does anyone have a 2-bbl and any associated
> parts I may need to install it, that will fit this 71, 232
> that I can purchase?

HAH! So typical AMC-list!! :-)

Welcome to the list, it's always like this! Seriously --
everyone's got their ideas, they're all different, all would
work, pick and choose (and take with grain of salt)... :-)
But pretty much you won't be left stranded.

The most "obvious" way is to simply find a cast iron 2 barrel
manifold, carb and linkages from a 2bbl 232. You'll need a
manifold gasket set.

If you decide to go this route, I'd get both exhaust and
intake manifolds; you probably would anyways, as they are
bolted together.

You'll need to get them apart, which is easy unless the bolts
are frozen. Lots of us here have done that, you can do it.
Since it'll be a "spare" manifold you can do it on the bench,
while you continue to drive the Gremlin....

You'd have to pull off the old manifolds of course. It's
conceptually easy, but sometimes a real PITA because: damn
things are HEAVY! rusty bolts snap. The good news is, you're
pitching the old manifolds, so who cares if they have rusted,
snapped bolts in them.  (That's why you get the replacement
ready to go first :-)

The other way is to simply find a 1bbl to 2bbl carb adapter,
and find a carb that fits it. This is a lot easier seeming,
but there are small pitfalls, like it raises the carb up an
inch or two, and makeslinkages fit funny and the aircleaner
might hit the hood. Fuel lines might not fit, etc... and they
don't work as well as a 2 barrel manifold.