Re: [Amc-list] Cam Bearings 195.6 OHV

I typed too quickly it seems.  I found the following
text written by Frank Swygert on the Portland AMC
website:

"There were some minor differences in the later models
of the 195.6 engine, specifically from 1963 to 1965.
The cam bearing diameters changed, so look at the
engine code and make sure you get a cam for your year
engine. I've not researched enough at this point to
know exactly when the changes occurred, but there are
at least three different cam bearing designs, one
being 1950-early 1963, and two following.

Oiling of the head also changed during this time (mid
1963). Engines made after this time have the oil to
the head metered through the front cam bearing (one
reason for the camshaft change). The external oil feed
line comes off the first cam bearing journal just
above the main oil gallery on the right side of the
engine and goes only to the head. On older engines the
head oil feed goes from the main oil gallery to the
head. If equipped with an oil filter there is a T
fitting on the head. Later models used a separate line
from the oil gallery directly to the oil filter.

These cams can be interchanged. If the cam doesn't
have a groove in the first journal for oil control the
oil feed line must be plugged in the block and routed
from the main oil gallery. I believe the metering was
done to limit the amount of oil delivered to the head
at higher speeds, which were becoming more common by
1963 with the cons-truction of the new Eisenhower
Interstate Highway System."

end of quote.

I'll take me cam to the machine shop and print out the
above text for the machinist to make sure I get the
correct bearings which match my cam and the oiling
regime for my 1963 block.