Re: [Amc-list] Tom Jenning's 304 valve swap

Re: [Amc-list] Tom Jenning's 304 valve swap

Hi Tom,
  I have seen 1.55" oversized Chevy valves available, so that valve seats don't need to be cut so much.  They are also available from GM directly and were used on the LT4 350 Chevy Corvette engine.

  http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/performance_parts/store/catalog/Product.jhtmlPRODID=729&CATID=727.html

  Greg :)  <><

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Greg Taylor wrote:

> According to your website, you ran a 1.55" exhaust ... did you cut them down from 1.60"? Also, what did you bore the block out to? I'm planning to run the 1.94/1.50 valves on the stroker 304 at a 3.796" bore (Chevy 305 piston), which is basically 0.050" over stock 304 bore.

I don't recall! I had it in my head that 1.55 was a stock
size. I wrote that page 10 years ago, I doubt it's a typo though.

> Also, on the bowls, I see where you had them machined for larger SBC valves, did you eventually blend the bowls down into the runners, which the pics don't show being done (I see the big step)? Thanks.

Yeah, I took those photos at the machine shop mid-work, before
blending etc. It was just to see how things were lining up,
roughed out. I intended to do a lot more documentation on that
build, but never did.