Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" THe 4.0 EFI swap is well known. Except for headbolt size issues
" which might require a stepped washer set to adapt, it's what
" people on this list call "bolt on" -- but I don't. THere's a
" lot of detail involved (like post-1980 heads DO NOT CLEAR THE
" FIREWALL ON PRE-1973 GREMLIN/HORNET!) and a crapload of wiring.

the head bolt issue only affects '81-6 258s; all earlier and later
sixes including 4.0s and 232s have 1/2" bolts.  there's another
problem though; '87-up blocks are wider, and 4.0 water passages don't
all line up with earlier openings.  this can be creatively worked
around but it does take a little work.

you can do the efi with or without the 4.0 head.  mopar's kit for the
4.2 [258] uses a 4.0 intake with new dowel pin notches/holes.

if/when the 232 needs a rebuild, i believe '77-9 232/258 pistons would
give you a little compression boost - i can't find data but infer
their dish is 6cc smaller than '68-'76.  if you can find them, late
'60s 199 'flattops' would give you more, maybe needing premium gas.