Re: [Amc-list] Tom Jenning's 304 valve swap

Re: [Amc-list] Tom Jenning's 304 valve swap

Tom,
  According to your website, you ran a 1.55" exhaust ... did you cut them down from 1.60"?  Also, what did you bore the block out to?  I'm planning to run the 1.94/1.50 valves on the stroker 304 at a 3.796" bore (Chevy 305 piston), which is basically 0.050" over stock 304 bore.

  Your valve guides are set up like the ones on my 62cc chamber heads.

  Also, on the bowls, I see where you had them machined for larger SBC valves, did you eventually blend the bowls down into the runners, which the pics don't show being done (I see the big step)?  Thanks.

  Sincerely,
  Greg Taylor :)  <><

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Greg Taylor wrote:

> Good morning all,
> I am finishing up the installing of SB Chevy valves in my 304 heads. I'm going to finish the existing set with 1.94/1.60 valves, guide plates and studs, as well as a 52cc small chamber set with 1.94/1.50 valves & studs.
>
> The 1.94/1.60 set already have bronze bushings installed inside the AMC cast iron guide.
>
> However, would there be any problems with complete machining off the AMC valve guide casting and hogging them out for a 0.500" bronze bushing designed for SB Chevy valve stem diameter and seals? This would be only on the 52cc head.

I put those valves (1.94in, 1.6ex) in a 75 304. Nice pictures
of the valve guides from the spring side. I forget all the
details except those that I put here

http://wps.com/AMC/valves/index.html

and here

http://wps.com/AMC/gremlin-motor.html

I never did run it on propane so some of that work was a
waste. But it was one sweet motor! I had a Edelbrock 500 on it,
and switched the axle back to the stock AMC20 3.15.