[Amc-list] Easy shifting the T-96

I dunno if this is common knowledge and I'm the last person to
figure it out, or if mine is broken in a clever way, or...

But I've found a synchro for first gear on the T-96. If you
drive one of these things, see if this works on yours!

It is well known that first on the T-96 has no synchro, so
you have to perfectly double-clutch and rev-match to shift
into it. Additionally, shifting quickly from neutral to first
(at a stop light, etc) requires waiting for the input shaft to
stop spinning else it grinds, at least on mine.

At a stop light: Engine running, in neutral, foot off the clutch.
Light turns green. Depress clutch to the floor, then I have to
wait nearly a second for the input shaft to stop spinning else
it grinds.

Here's the fix: In neutral, depress clutch. Press the idler
gear up against the (second gear) synchro, which happens when
you move the shift lever gently up to second until it starts to
resist. Right where the internal shifter fork hits the detent,
the edge of the gear catches the synchro.

Then just pull it to first. No grind! It takes hardly any
practice; neutral, depress clutch, bump shift lever up to but
not into second, pull to first, and go.

I can even downshift to first, from second, at 10 mph if I shift
from second to neutral, momentarily pop the clutch, then clutch,
bump second's synchro then into first. I get a little "click"
when I do that, which might be first gear's leading edge (bad,
but not too bad) or my terribly-worn trans.

It does NOT work just pulling from second to first with the
clutch to the floor. It's gotta bump the synchro while in
neutral.

And so ends my sole complaint living with this trannie. OK it's
a lot of pedal-pushing and lever-waggling, but if I wanted a
2008 Honda Civic I'd buy one. This little American gets more
fun every day.

My T-96 is pretty much worn out, it leaks out a pint a month,
and now the clutch slips a bit when hot. It's coming out this
next weekend.