Re: [Amc-list] 1965 American

My son is working on an adapter to put my old BA 10/5 on his DJ 232 in place of the BW that went kaput. He still hasn't told me which side the starter is on to tell if it's an early or late motor though ('75) Also someone (I think a list member?) used the TH400 adapter ring off the Jeep 327 as a pattern to make an adapter to bolt a 700R4 to the 327.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 1965 American
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "Case Construction" <fngcase@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I have a 1965 American that I bought without a motor and transmission.
" It was a standard shift car, so I have the pedal assembly.  I have a
" 1968 232 c.i. AMC motor from a 1968 Javelin that I want to install
" with a T-10 4 speed or a t-4 or T-5.  Can anyone tell me what bell
" housing I need to get to make this engine connect with any of these
" transmissions?  Also, any information on the shifted clutch linkages
" would be helpful.

i have the very rare 'mexican' bellhousing needed to hook an amc t10
to a pre-'72 six.  i don't know if i'm ready to part with it just
yet...  there is no bell i know of for an sr4/t4/t5 on these motors.

several of us think it's possible to make an adapter plate for the
stock '60s bell to take a '90s mustang 3.8 t5.  the business part
would end up being about 2/3" thick.  throwout bearing and clutch disk
would be stock late '70s amc t150 3sp parts; the pilot bushing might
work too.

did you get the t14 and driveshaft from the jav?  they'd slip into the
american with a '67-9 non-big-nut rear end, and at least you'd have a
full synchro tranny.
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx