Re: [Amc-list] April Fools- Hotrod Article

Re: [Amc-list] April Fools- Hotrod Article

Steve,
  Just what was "scary" or "laughable" about my post?

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:03:31 -0000 (GMT) stover@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Hey everyone. Some of you know me some don't. No matter. I don't
> post
> often here ( massive understatement ).
>   The reactions of some on this site and on the AMC Forum really
> flabbergasts me. The comment below simply is scary on one hand,
> laughable on the other. I'm not truly surprised by the point of view
> I'm
> addressing, but I am dismayed and amazed by the kneejerk responses.
> It's
> a bit late to undue the potential harm done by those registering
> their
> "disgust"with the article by firing off a nastygram or by
> withdrawing
> their subscription.
>    I can hope that the representative negativity is so small so as
> to pale
> against what I pray will be an overwhelming number of positive
> mailings
> to Hotrod. Have you checked outside these environs to see what
> others
> think? No? Why not? Oh, right. You don't care what others think.
> Bull.
> The above mentioned responses are ample evidence otherwise.
>    I went on an LT1 board. Yep. An LT1 board. That's right. And they
> were
> talking about this same article. Guess what they were saying? Good
> things! Sure, there were one or two smarmy wisecracks, to be
> expected,
> you see that anywhere, and particularly on single focus, or
> apparently
> single focus, gatherings. But what was interesting was 1)These
> board
> members knew what a Pacer or Gremlin was, 2) Thought, because of
> the
> way they were rendered, they were kind of cool- more on that in a
> bit,
> and 3)though several thought the idea of a resurrected AMC
> unrealistic,
> the underlying notion was that it was cool.
>    To be in a specifically directed group and to say that something
> as
> iconically off the beaten path as a Gremlin or Pacer is "kinda
> cool",
> is a brave statement amongst the general, and presumably fairly
> young,
> automotive public. Moreover, these are "outsiders". Generally if
> you
> want a more objective view than your own myopia, you ask a stranger
> about that which is near and dear. They have no particular vested
> interest and can clarify things, sometimes in an instant of
> observation.That these people had an implied vested interest to
> remain
> "cool" in their own group and yet ventured so far as to say that a
> pair
> of the near most often popularly scapegoated models in
> automobiledom
> [...]

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA  NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx or
namdra1@xxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 563168  (262) 843-4326
  JOIN NAMDRA - the best AMC club around!!  http://www.AMCDragRacing.com.

30th. AMC NATIONALS - SEP.11-13. 2008 - CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974, NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766