Re: [Amc-list] AMC 304 Stroker build (some thoughts)

Re: [Amc-list] AMC 304 Stroker build (some thoughts)

Hi Nick,
  Yeah, I was taking into consideration that the internal assembly will need to be rebalanced, which I did not include in the cost objective for re-engineering the stroker with new pistons for compression.

  As for rebalancing ... is it the lighter the rod/piston combo goes, the more material has to be added?  And conversely, the heavier the rod/piston, the more material has to be removed?  I need to weigh my pistons/pins/locks/rings and compare them to the weights for the Ford counterparts.  Thanks.

  I finally found an APPLES to APPLES comparison for my stroker 304 build and it is comparing it to Lunati's 305 build up (343 HP out of a 305).  It can be found at http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/343hp305.html .  They ended up with 10.26:1 and I will be running around 9.3:1 compression.

  Thanks all for the feedback.  Have a great night!

  Greg :)  <><

Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Greg,

A couple of things to think about here. Your internally balanced engine is going to need to be rebalanced now with the KB pistons. They are not the same material or weight as the Venolia pistons you had when the rotating assembly was balanced. I am sure you know this but by what you wrote below, I wasn't sure as it sounds like the fact that everything was already balanced was part of your decision making. Now look at the real cost of the KB pistons. Roughly $250 for the KB pistons, somewhere in the $260 range to bush your rods and outside the pin, cut valve pockets could cost $125-160 and anywhere from $250-400 (depending on if more heavy metal is needed to the crank) to re-balance your engine. KB pistons for this engine would be fine. I wouldn't go too high on compression with them as they are not as strong as the Venolia (or other) forged pistons.

None of this is to say that your stroker build isn't a good idea for you. Just that the comparisons need to take in the whole picture. I think it is great when people think outside the box and come up with creative ways to make our smaller engines perform like their big brothers. There is a lot of potential in all of the AMC engines. Look at what some have done with the 258. I have seen them out run big V8s.

Nick

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends