[Amc-list] April Fools- Hotrod Article

Hey everyone. Some of you know me some don't. No matter. I don't post
often here ( massive understatement ).
  The reactions of some on this site and on the AMC Forum really
flabbergasts me. The comment below simply is scary on one hand,
laughable on the other. I'm not truly surprised by the point of view I'm
addressing, but I am dismayed and amazed by the kneejerk responses. It's
a bit late to undue the potential harm done by those registering their
"disgust"with the article by firing off a nastygram or by withdrawing
their subscription.
   I can hope that the representative negativity is so small so as to pale
against what I pray will be an overwhelming number of positive mailings
to Hotrod. Have you checked outside these environs to see what others
think? No? Why not? Oh, right. You don't care what others think. Bull.
The above mentioned responses are ample evidence otherwise.
   I went on an LT1 board. Yep. An LT1 board. That's right. And they were
talking about this same article. Guess what they were saying? Good
things! Sure, there were one or two smarmy wisecracks, to be expected,
you see that anywhere, and particularly on single focus, or apparently
single focus, gatherings. But what was interesting was 1)These board
members knew what a Pacer or Gremlin was, 2) Thought, because of the
way they were rendered, they were kind of cool- more on that in a bit,
and 3)though several thought the idea of a resurrected AMC unrealistic,
the underlying notion was that it was cool.
   To be in a specifically directed group and to say that something as
iconically off the beaten path as a Gremlin or Pacer is "kinda cool",
is a brave statement amongst the general, and presumably fairly young,
automotive public. Moreover, these are "outsiders". Generally if you
want a more objective view than your own myopia, you ask a stranger
about that which is near and dear. They have no particular vested
interest and can clarify things, sometimes in an instant of
observation.That these people had an implied vested interest to remain
"cool" in their own group and yet ventured so far as to say that a pair
of the near most often popularly scapegoated models in automobiledom
are alright in their book is a strong testimony that exposure like this
does way more good than any petty harm.
   Please look outside yourself and your built up sense of being wronged
at every turn because you are "different" and consider the
possibilities of your choices in life. To stand apart from the crowd
means to be noticed by the crowd. And that means that recognition isn't
always or even often gonna be roses and chocolates. But you chose that
route and you are responsible for accepting the fee of passage down
your path. The truly satisfying thing about going one's own way despite
public opinion is finding the support,and sometimes admiration, of
those in unlikely places. It's poetic. And sometimes true allies can be
found on an LT1 board, or a magazine, like Hotrod.
  Embrace that this article put out an intriguing possibilty from old AMC
designs- iconic designs,and through a bit of chicanery showcased many of
AMC's  historical high points-AMX/3, Nascar, Baja, Trans AM- through the
kaleidoscope of possibility in today's world- AMX/4, IMSA, Nascar, etc.
Yes, there are national clubs and world clubs- are you going to rally them
to elevate us or bury us?

Steve

We also have all of the national/international and local clubs!!!!!!!!!!