[Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

[Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

There is a mail order compnay in the south or mid atlantic area that renews gas tanks completely in and out, I can not think of the name but they are well know I am sure you can? google/find it, You didn't mention what kind of car this was, but the early pacers all had a round felt sound absorbing pad on top of the tank. it also absorbed water and rusted out the top of the tanks prematurely, and upon tank removal and replacement due to rust or the bad baffles, the TSB said to remove and not to replace it.

Attached Message

Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:34:25 -0600

Okay, I dropped the gas tank and took a look inside (and have plenty of used gas
in plastic gas containers, lol. Oh well - maybe I'll use it in the lawn mower,
leaf blower and mulcher - it doesn't look really discolored). Anyway, back on
topic. The inside of the gas tank looks clean. I am not seeing sludge, gunk, goo
or rust. Maybe a little varnish - but not much if at all.

So - question is: get it cleaned anyway? What's the scoop with sanding, priming
and painting the outside of the tank? The car will not be shown (the interior
and carpet is not stock, but looks nice). What's the name of the plastic/rubber
part that fits over the filler pipe and is in the trunk? There's a crack in it,
and I'd like to replace it.

I'm thinking of bringing the tank in anyway, if the radiator shop addresses rust
on the outside of the tank. When you guys bring tanks in to get cleaned, is it
inside only, or does it take care of outside rust? Finally - what type of glue
do you use for the felt between the gas tank and the underside of your car? Fine
is loose in a few areas.

Attached Message

Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Re: [Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:56:20 -0600

Okay - I thought about it. I spilled a little bit on the garage floor, and my
shoe stuck to it. The tank might look nice and clean, but I shouldn't be
sticking to it! (I'm guessing that's why valves start sticking).

So - I'll just get the thing cleaned out.