[Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

[Amc-list] Gas tank nice and clean inside - prep and paint outside?

Okay, I dropped the gas tank and took a look inside (and have plenty of used gas in plastic gas containers, lol. Oh well - maybe I'll use it in the lawn mower, leaf blower and mulcher - it doesn't look really discolored). Anyway, back on topic. The inside of the gas tank looks clean. I am not seeing sludge, gunk, goo or rust. Maybe a little varnish - but not much if at all.

So - question is: get it cleaned anyway? What's the scoop with sanding, priming and painting the outside of the tank? The car will not be shown (the interior and carpet is not stock, but looks nice). What's the name of the plastic/rubber part that fits over the filler pipe and is in the trunk? There's a crack in it, and I'd like to replace it.

I'm thinking of bringing the tank in anyway, if the radiator shop addresses rust on the outside of the tank. When you guys bring tanks in to get cleaned, is it inside only, or does it take care of outside rust? Finally - what type of glue do you use for the felt between the gas tank and the underside of your car? Fine is loose in a few areas.