Re: [Amc-list] Turn signals

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Matt Haas wrote:

> Bad grounds and shorted out bulbs can do weird things as well. The most
> likely problem is either a bad turn signal switch or a wiring problem.
> There isn't a turn signal troubleshooting section. What you should do is
> disconnect the plug at the base of the column and use a powered test
> light or the continuity test function of a multi-meter to check the turn
> signal switch itself. The TSM shows the wiring diagram for the switch.

One fairly common problem when old is bad lamp socket
grounds. The symptoms caused are really weird!

Even though I went all through them, the right front turn signal
socket in my American has a bad ground. Not only does it not
light or blink (just light a bad lamp would behave) when you
pull the headlight switch to the PARK position the right turn
signal dash indicator lights! Only in PARK though.

What's happening is, the dual-filament lamp shell isn't grounded;
so when the park light is on, current flows through the turn
signal filament, dimly lighting the tail light and brightly
lighting the dash turn signal.

Turn-signal-switch wiring is complicated inside the switch, but
usually it's something else.

Have they EVER worked for you? (Previous owner plugged wires in wrong.)