Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

Yep, you really can't put anything down the toilet
except number 1 or number 2 here in CA.   Don't
believe what your local officials told you.  The
sewage treatment plant really only dilutes the
antifreeze.  Yes, in small concentrations I'm pretty
sure the bugs (bacteria) can deal metabolize it, but
it's still not a good idea.  Antifreeze (at least from
the big sources like radiator shops etc.) is recycled
here in CA.  You can get away with putting a little
antifreeze and gasoline too in the used motor oil when
you take it to be recycled, but any real strange odor
(or color) can cause it to be rejected at the
collection center.  It's up the person monitoring the
collection.  At my local Kragen's they often let me
dump my own oil into the collection tank, so I can get
away with some contamination.

I also use stale gas for cleaning really greasy parts
and I try to sneak as much of it as possible into the
motor oil which gets recycled.  I don't claim to be
perfect though.  I have used stale gas in my lawn
mower but I stopped doing that after having to rebuild
the lawn mower carburetor.   The parts for that
rebuild were not cheap.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA