Re: [Amc-list] Found out why my '65 American was parked! (brake lines)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Matt Haas wrote:

> Too bad there isn't an exact replacement for my 67. There is one other
> difference that is really important between the Bendix and Wagner master
> cylinders: The Wagner master uses a stepped bore design and if I
> remember correctly, that means different bore sizes in the wheel
> cylinders between Bendix and Wagner.

Ahh, I forgot about that (and you'd mentioned it earlier). With
a stepped bore yes, it's a problem. To swap in a straight-bore
(normal, common) master cylinder, you'd ahve to juggle front or
rear wheel cylinders to match the areal ratios (or simply copy
the wheel cyl diameter selections from a car with a straight
bore). That might be more than a lot of people would put up with,