Re: [Amc-list] Found out why my '65 American was parked! (brake lines)

Re: [Amc-list] Found out why my '65 American was parked! (brake lines)

You are absolutely correct! I totally forgot about both issues, which
would need to be addressed if ordering lines. In 65 199 and 195.6
powered cars used Bendix, only the (somewhat rare) 232 powered cars used
Wagners (or at least that's what the TSM says -- we all know there were
exceptions!). I didn't think about the power brake issue either, but
those aren't exactly common on Americans either, and I don't think they
were available on the SC/Rambler (would just require changing the two
feed lines between junction block and MC though). All 69 Ramblers
(American/Rogue was just called "Rambler" in 69) used Bendix brakes, so
that info will help! The only 69 to use Wagners was the (AMC) Rebel six
cylinder sedan and hardtop built in Kenosha (Canadian models used
Bendix) ------------ Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:05:15 -0500 From: Matt
Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> Frank Swygert wrote: <snip>

> > Just order lines for an SC/Rambler if they don't have your car listed. All the American/Rogue/SC lines are pretty much the same.

</snip>

Yeah, but pretty much the same means doesn't work without modifications.
Using V8 rear brake lines on a six cylinder car isn't that big of a deal
since you only have to account for a half inch difference in wheel
cylinder height (9" vs 10" drums) but I can tell you from personal
experience that there is no way the engine compartment lines from a car
with a Bendix master cylinder will fit a car with a Wagner master
cylinder. Also, lines for power brake cars will not fit manual brake
cars. There are inches of difference.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"