Re: [Amc-list] Found out why my '65 American was parked!

Re: [Amc-list] Found out why my '65 American was parked!

I used Inline Tube (http://www.inlinetube.com) for my 67 American. They
don't have any brake lines listed for Bruce's car. There is a chance
that a 67 line set will work (they have patterns for the lines) but
since there are big structural differences, you'll need to verify before
you order them. If someone has part numbers for the lines (they are
listed as tubes in the parts books) and can post them, I can do the same
for the sets they do have.

I wouldn't worry about them not having a listing. First, they may
actually have the line sets. It took them about a year and a half to
list a couple of engine lines they duplicated for me. They still don't
have a listing for a 67 brake line set (there are 3 lines that are
different than 68-69 if you have a Wagner master cylinder) but I did
mention that one of them was kinked (which they duplicated -- they did
warn me about that) when I took it off so that may have something to do
with it. Second, if they don't have your lines, you can send yours off
to be duplicated. I had new custom bent lines in less than two weeks
from when they left my house. You'll need to call them before you send
anything and they'll tell you how to package them.

Matt

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Seals are easy! You did the rear brakes, you CAN do the seals!
>
> Brake lines, I forget what company Matt Haas used to buy lines, they can provide the correct ready to bolt in lines.
> Or take the rusted pieces in and get the closest length to match, then carefully bend till it works.
>   Making brake lines is an art. double flaring takes good tools, practice and patience. If you have the want, you can indeed learn.  Do a web search and read, then decide, that's what I did. Then I broke my neck, hmmm maybe someday I'll put that expensive double flaring took to use?  :]
>
> --
> Mark Price
> Morgantown, WV
> 1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, Quadratrc II
> " Chronic Pain Hurts"

> From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Okay, I decided to work on the front brakes today. The previous owner stated
>> that the car pulled hard to the side when braking. It was dangerous - so they
>> parked it (they had someone lined up to repair it - he passed away, so they just
>> left it as is).
>>
>> Anyway - the right front hub is leaking grease all over the place. Looks like it
>> needs seals. I'm weighing buying the tools and doing it, or chickening out and
>> just getting it done. Anyway - gotta finish the driver's side brakes, replace
>> the master cylinder - then start reading the TSM to figure out what to do about
>> grease all over the place.
>>
>> On a different note - anyone have experience with pre-cut brake lines? Does
>> American parts depot carry them? Or anyone else? I'm trying to decide between
>> using pre-cut (if available) or coughing up cash for the tool set and trying to
>> make some.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com