Re: [Amc-list] Slow Spirit

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Matt Haas wrote:

> AMC wasn't the only one guilty of that.

80's was a bad ra for cars...

In our search for a 24 Hours of LeMons car, we looked at mainly
80's imports, and one 79 Mercury Cougar (anemic 350v8). What a
piece of crap. It was not running well (the usualy smog hoses
cracked and leaking) but it was quite literally no faster in
the sub-60mph range than the 1993 1.9L For Escort we chose. (The
"perfect" car: old man's daily commuter, well maintained, very
low miles (75K), he retired from driving when he crunched a
rear quarter, which ruined a fender and bent the hatch, zero
chassis damage.

The Escort is gutless, but is geared well. It's 2400 lbs now,
but we figure we can get 400 lbs off it. Stock, it's got the
same HP/weight ratio as a year-comparable Camaro! How's that
for sad (or wave of the future...)