        Re: RUST - www.safestrustremover.com - www.corroless.com -

          Posted by: "bigequip92882"
          <http://profiles.yahoo.com/bigequip92882>

            Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:04 pm (PST)

    Guys,
    You can go to a wholesale food supplier and buy a bag (25 lbs) of
    citric acid (Archer Daniels Midland mfgr), and use it to remove rust
    from anything. The citric acid I use, is a food additive .. it is
    100% safe with no serious handling dangers, or nasty side effects ..
    and it dissolves rust beautifully, with no damage to the underlying
    good metal. I belong to a Caterpillar club and we use it to remove
    all the rust from a 60 yr old engine. We mix it in a 55 gallon drum
    (30 gallons water and about 8 large scoops of citric acid, 3 lbs
    powder). Then set an engine block into the solution and let it set
    for a week. When you pull it out it is bright metal and all the rust
    is gone.
    You spray or pour on the mixture and let it set, the longer it is
    left on, the brighter the metal and all the rust is gone.
    If you want to try it out in a small form, get an orange or
    grapefruit and squeeze the juice on the rust, let it sit for a couple
    days (reapplying until you get the rust removed).
    One thing I should warn about .. the citric acid solution is pretty
    benign on most metals besides steel .. it has little effect on
    aluminum, brass and copper .. but it just LOVES enamel!
    Whatever you do, NEVER use an enamelled container, such as a sink or
    bathtub, to hold the solution .. because the citric acid will strip
    that enamel right off, back to the pure cast iron!
    Another source for citric acid solution is from your local ceramic
    tile dealer. If grout haze is allowed to sit and get damp before
    removing, it can set up like a thin cement on the surface of the
    glaze. Tile shops sell a product that is designed to clean tile,
    remove the silicone sealant (if it was sealer prior) and remove the
    cement-like haze. This product is citric acid based and would
    probably be easier to locate if you don't have ADM in your backyard
    like I do. I have not tried this product on rusty metal, but it is
    not expensive and a bit easier to store than a 55 lb bag of granular
    product.

    For the final treatment, after I've pressure washed the item, I give
    it a spray with about a 10% solution of phosphoric acid.

    This dries rapidly in moderately warm conditions, to a phosphate
    coating which prevents rust forming again .. and which coating can be
    either lightly oiled, to further increase protection .. or it can be
    primed or painted over, directly.

    I just use a small spray bottle, as available from the local
    supermarket or "$2 store", to spray the phosphoric solution on.
    An alternative is using a left-over kitchen or laundry cleaner spray
    bottle .. but these tend to be pretty cheap and nasty construction,
    and generally don't last long.

    It pays to not keep the solution in the bottle, for any length of
    time .. but only make up enough for immediate use .. as the trigger
    and return spring mechanism in these cheap Chinese spray bottles,
    tend to gum up, if the solution is left in them for an extended
    period.

    My 2 cents again!!