Re: [Amc-list] 1973 thru 1976 AMC Parts Catalog

Re: [Amc-list] 1973 thru 1976 AMC Parts Catalog

" From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" So i picked up this 82 Spirit DL with a 258-2v and 5
" spd from a barn, it had been in there since the mid
" 90s. I got everything working, the puppy runs good and
" shifts nice. Gave it a comet bath and "Auction Prep"
" wax job and it looks nice.
" But low speed is sluggish and it doesn't run as my
" other I-6s do. When the hood is popped there is a nest
" of snakes posing as the engine.
" I want to swap out the serpetine belt and put the
" V-belt system from my 73 Hornet on it. Do I just go
" from the crank pully on up and swap out things. There
" is no PS yet so all I'm worried about is the alt but
" wire for wire swap should be snap. Right?
" Also, can I start pulling "stuff" from the engine
" compartment to get this engine back to the 60's and
" 70's as I am comfortable with. The car is light and
" nimble, and I dig rowing that 5-spd, but I hate
" opening the hood. And if I can't monkey with the
" engine I ain't happy......Russ

1. iirc you can't swap pulleys; the serp belt crank nose is 10mm
shorter than the v-belt crank, right where the pulleys go.  except for
that i don't see why it wouldn't work.  heck, there should be v-belt
pulleys for the delco alt.

this crank is the one all the jeep guys want for the 4.0 stroker,
since it works off the bat with their serp belt setups.

2. i've heard so much about these engines being designed to operate
properly only when all the emissions controls are in place and
working, i don't think you'll have much success here either unless
you tear the engine down to a longblock and replace -everything-
that's emissions connected.  this probably includes the dist, or at
least its advance curves.