Re: [Amc-list] 63 Rambler American 440 and 62 Rambler American Deluxe

Re: [Amc-list] 63 Rambler American 440 and 62 Rambler American Deluxe

I think I've seen that 62 Deluxe on craigslist in
Homeland, CA.  The engines and transmissions and the
entire drivetrains are interchangeable between the 62
and 63 Americans.  If the engines look different from
each other it's probably because one of the engines is
an L-head (commonly called a flathead) engine.  The
valves are in the block on that engine.  It doesn't
"breathe" as well so is rated at a lower horsepower
than the overhead (valve in head) engine in the other
car.

I'd offer $200 to $300 for the 62 if that's the one on
craigslist.  Actually, it would be a shame to part it
out, but you can't save them all.

Joe Fulton
Salinas,CA