[Amc-list] OHV 195.6 Progress Report

We have sunsine again here on the central coast and it
really made me squint today after over a week of very
cloudy days and rain.

I have just about all the parts I need to start to
assemble of the engine.  I broke a ring land on one of
the pistons will trying to remove the frozen rings
last week.   I ordered a new .060 oversize piston from
Kanter Auto Parts and it came via UPS yesterday.  As
soon as I opened the box I took it and the old piston
and rod to the machine shop and the machinist
installed it on the rod.  The casting marks on the
head of the new piston are amazingly similar to those
on the original AMC unit so I'm wondering if a
supplier somewhere obtained the original AMC piston
molds.

I complained to Doug Galvin via the telephone about
him sending me a Felpro rope seal when he is listed as
a vendor for Best brand gaskets.  He called back and
said he would send the Best rope seal, no charge.
Don't bother returning the Felpro seal.  I'm still
waiting for it, but hopefully will get it any day now.

An article I read recently mentioned Isky brand cam
lube so I ordered a can and it came yesterday.

I spent today putting new (used) shoes on the car.
The old tires were weatherchecked and rotten (bias
belted Sears tires) and dated from the late 70s or
early 80s.  I put good used Yokahama tires on the
rear, which is what I had handy.  (You won't normally
catch me dead with a foreign made tire on one of my
cars).   I put used Goodyears on the front which I
obtained off of a K-car at the junkyard this morning.

A local tire shop does all the hard work and they are
cheap too.  We have a lot of Hispanics in this town
and there is much demand for good used tires and a
shop which will install them.  Most tire "dealers"
won't mess with used tires because it hurts sales and
they don't want the liability.  If I didn't have
access to Cliff's Tire, I'd have to buy a tire
mounting machine and do it myself, since I frequently
need that service.

Tomorrow I have to pick up an Eagle wagon then I'll
put the 196 block on the engine stand and make sure it
is clean, then probably measure the piston rings for
end clearance and measure the pistons in the block for
clearance prior to installing the rings on the
pistons.

Joe Fulton