[Amc-list] info on eagle transmission

The automatic transmission in my 86 Eagle is going out. I have found someone selling one (he says it is a TF998?) Am I mistaken or was there NOT a 998? I thought there was 727 or 999? Anyway, how do I know what tranny is in my Eagle? The guy selling this tranny says it will fit in any Eagle with a 6 cylinder. He said he also has a T-5 but I am only interested in the auto.

Thanks. for any help.

Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA.