Re: [Amc-list] Thanks for the brake shoe info, ...

Re: [Amc-list] Thanks for the brake shoe info, ...

Bruce,

Brakes are pretty easy to reassemble. I don't recall if you found a TSM
yet or not but the TSM covers how to do it very well (much, much better
than a Chilton's but that will work as well). Brake spring tools help
)there's one for the hold down springs and another for the return
springs but a pair of needle nose pliers will work). The worst jobs you
have are parking brake cable replacement and master cylinder replacement.

Also, what you bought isn't a luxury. This stuff wears out (there's no
telling how much is original to the car) and it's brakes breaking while
you drive sucks. Did you order self adjuster kits? If the teeth on the
self adjusters are square and it's not rusted up, you can get by with
just a cable but it's best just to replace it all.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Thanks everyone for help with the brake shoes. I was able to go into NAPA and return the incorrect shoes and order the right ones using the Raybestos part number. As a general note for the next guy getting brakes - if you go in with your exact make, model, year, trim level, engine size and state you have Bendix brakes - they might still get the wrong part. The part number cleared it up quickly.
>
> I decided to go whole hog and ordered new brake shoes, spring kits, wheel cylinders all around, a new Master Cylinder, and a new parking brake cable (the old one snapped). I'm trying to line up a mechanic to come and show me what to do (for an hourly rate or a lump sum or BBQ and beer - whatever it takes). I think I better watch it done or do it under supervision once.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon