Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 Crankshaft Bolt - stupid question time again

Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 Crankshaft Bolt - stupid question time again

The 3/4 bolt inch bolt is the cranshaft bolt.  The
front pully if you have one is fasted to the
crankpulley with three small cap screws.

Regarding that crank bolt.  It is torqued to around 60
to 70 pound-feet I think.   I'd have to check the TSM
for sure. You will want to be cautious about how much
torque to turn in clockwise.  You could actually strip
the threads in the crankshaft if you get too aggresive
with it.  If you turn in ccw very hard you will be
unscrewing it.  It will need to be torqued again to
spec before you run the engine.  I have a frozen 196
here at home and have been dealing with the same
problem.  The engine is soaking now with a combination
of tranny fluid, WD-40, diesel fuel and Kroil in the
cylinders.  I've tried them all so far, but am not to
the point of removing the head yet because I'm working
on other cars.

Joe Fulton