Re: [Amc-list] 64 Rambler Classic question

Re: [Amc-list] 64 Rambler Classic question

Your problem would be the Torque Tube (TT)

You either need to mate the auto to the TT or throw away the TT & diff and
install something else

I have gone with the second option and installed a 232 and Toyota 5 speed
and coil sprung with panhard rod fxxd diff into my 64 Classic

When I picked the car up from the machine shop after the conversion the guy
said that he could have married the 5 speed to the TT

I am happy with the route I took the car handles much much better than it
ever did with the TT rear end

Running a V8 you may need to change your front springs as well although the
later model V8 is much lighter it will still be heavier than the 232

I would also recommend upgrading your brakes to later model disks

I have considered a similar V8 conversion for my ride one day but would
likely use an AMC 360 just because there are so many around

Regards
Stu
Melbourne
Australia