Re: [Amc-list] EFI on 195.6OHV...

At 10:13 PM 1/3/2008, you wrote:
>-- Glen Hoag <hoag@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > It could be done, but throttle body injection would certainly be much
> > easier.  MegaSquirt would be the ideal controller for either
> > scenario, because it is fully programmable with a laptop computer.
>
>Yeah, TBI is simply easier, though TPI is cooler :-)
>
>I've toyed with the idea of EFI for a long time but in the end stick with
>carbs for the simple reason that I deal with computerized crap every day
>and I genuinely like the organic low-tech of carbureted motors. EFI isn't a
>single component like a carb switch, it's a whole system of subtleties that
>I don't want in my favorite pasttime. And in early 60's cars (that are 40's
>cars at heart :-) it just seems incongrous.
>
>But with a shot at 25+ mpg long-term-average a workable TBI system for this
>motor might be worth it if I can reign in system sprawl. There's like three
>wires needed to make the motor go right now. I like that! I don't want a
>freaking harness on the head!
>
>But a little TBI with oxygen and coolant sensors, and one small box, maybe
>I could live with that if it gave me SUBSTANTIALLY increased mileage. I
>don't really care about a big increase in power. I have carbs down, my carb
>cars always start perfectly and run great (as great as carbs ever do :-)

I can't guarantee increased mileage, but it stands to reason that
there would be some improvement.  With a wideband oxygen sensor and
controller, like the Innovate LC-1, you can run quite lean at cruise,
which would help on the mileage issue.

> >From what I read I worry about idle problems, and hours upon hours of
>laptop fiddling maps. Playing with computers stopped amusing me a decade
>ago...
>
>But I'm again doing online research (and your page last night; if I go this
>route I'll probably buy preassembled!).
>
>I don't like the high-pressure fuel plumbing I'd have to do. I also don't
>understand why everyone says I must increase fuel delivery line size, when
>I am not going to be consuming more lbs/hour of fuel; probably less! I have
>vacuum wipers and will keep them; it's gotta work with that. It's gotta
>work with an old-style distributor (with Pertronix). Etc....

I agree about fuel line size.  Most people install MegaSquirt for
more power, so they would need more fuel.  If you need to plumb a
return line, you would have to increase the supply line, but I don't
think that's necessary with most TBI setups. I haven't gotten around
to installing my own system yet.  Too busy building them for
others.  (The cobbler's children have no shoes.)

With the v3 board, you can lock the distributor advance down and use
MegaSquirt to control the coil as well.  One wire out of the
Pertronix device and one wire into the coil.  You can run it in fuel
only mode, if you don't want to add ignition control.