Re: [Amc-list] Bedliner/foam in rails

Mark,
The foam I was looking at, is called Great Stuff and is sold by Dow
Chemical.
The part below is the info off their website describing the difference
between "open cell" and "closed cell" foams. Although they don't say water
proof, I sprayed this stuff into a piece of frame rail, let it dry, weighed
it and then dumped it into water over night. The next day, after blowing off
the outside, the part weighed the same as before, indicating that it did not
pick up any water.
I think there are some cautions.
If the foam oozes out of areas, it should be wiped off before it dries, so
that you get that tough skin that forms. After it dries, you can cut it off
with a knife, but I think it opens up the "pores" and might allow water
penetration.
I'm not advocating that anyone else do this but I feel comfortable enough
with what I've seen to use it on my car. I'm going to put it in the frame
rails, behind the rear wheel cavity (between the outer fender and inner
fender) and the door sills.
If I'm still around in 10 years I'll update what happened. Be advised that
this is NOT a daily driver (more a sunny day in the summer driver) and so no
matter what I do, I don't think it will radically affect the outcome.
Also, for those asking about bedliner for the interior of their cars, I used
it on my car and was quite pleased with the result. That stuff is tough as
nails and sticks hard. I then used 2 layers of roofing membrane for sound
deadener. That's a product that they use to seal a leaky roof and comes in
sheets about 1/8 in thick. Two layers gave me about 1/4 in of sound relief.
The only thing with that is, I wouldn't want to have to remove it to do work
on the car.
Cheers,
Don
1970 AMX
"The older I get, the better I was."
There are two key differences between latex foam and GREAT STUFFT, which is
a polyurethane foam:

  1.. Latex foams are typically "open cell" and, as a result, can take on
water. In fact, the same properties that allow you to wash latex foam off
your hands with water also mean that the cured foam can absorb water. This
can cause wood rot or deterioration in areas where wet latex foam is next to
wood, such as a window frame. In contrast, GREAT STUFFT is a closed-cell
foam. It forms a water-resistant outer coating when cured.