[Amc-list] Performance 196

I'd love to do something to a 196 OHV, and turbo does seem to be the way.

Excellent machining would be a must; although the engine could only pull (even with balancing), what, 5000 max?  Wonder what it would take to port the heads/install bigger valves?  I was looking at mine, and wondering if you could machine the side of the head some - the 'valley' where you mount the intake manifold - and maybe cut it at an angle, so you could build a more direct route to the intake ports.  Hard to explain what I mean, but I was thinking if you could alter the flow of intake mixture so that it's more direct instead of having to make a 90, it might help.  Of course, you'd have to be able to machine in screw holes and make a custom intake manifold.  Manifold shouldn't be difficult as it's basically a straight plate.

Another issue I'm curious about is oiling; Besides the oil filter/full flow vs partial flow difference between the '65 and those in prior years, are there any differences in the pump itself?  Are there any oiling issues that could be addressed as part of a quality rebuild (like on the 290-401s)?

I'm telling ya, a turbo'd/blown, or even a natural aspirated 196 with maybe a Weber on it would be cool!!  Stick the 5 speed behind it and appropriate gears...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL