[Amc-list] Torque vs Re-Torque

If you are using an old shop manual they are probably referring to the old
asbestos sandwich type head gaskets. These DID need to be re-torqued at
least a few times until they ?bedded in?.
 If you are using a modern non-re-torque head gasket you should not need
to re-torque it. If it?s possible to do I usually re-torque my heads at
the 1000 mile mark and then about 15k.  OR if the engine has been run hot
but not yet blown a gasket.
This ONLY holds true for the non-torque to yield type bolts. Most modern
engines are now using torque to yield type head bolts. When originally
tightened these bolts are put in a state of stretch and should NOT be
re-torqued OR reused!!
I always back off my bolts about ¼ turn before re tightening them. This
releases the ?stiction? of the bolt. Head bolts tend to become stuck in
the threads preventing them from being tightened any more if you don?t
loosen them first.
 This is ONLY MY OPINION of what to do. I would ALWAYS call the gasket mfg
and get their recommendation since it?s their product.
But HEY,,, that?s just ME!
Bruce Hevner