[Amc-list] No expandable foam!

Expandable foam: Why not?
It would keep the moisture in!

When it comes to channels and subframes, thousands of gallons of water rushing through is nothing, a few drops that get stuck is the root of all evil.  On our cars, doors, rear quarters, rockers, and channels, are designed with drains to drain any water that gets in them.  These drains and the paths to them need to be open.  The drains were also important in the original anti-rust "dipping" process.  Expandable foam will block all these drains, and may even act like a sponge, and rot the car in places that would otherwise have been safe without it.  Scraping out the foam would be impossible as it would expand into places you can't get to, and any future welding would also be impossible as the foam would burst into fumes and flames and consume your car.  If I was looking to buy a car and the seller told me he had cleverly filled the channels with expandable foam, I would consider that car already destroyed.

It may be cheap, easy, and fun to watch the foam expand, but, in my humble opinion, it is also probably the cheapest and easiest and fastest way to ruin the value of your car.  Just say no to expanding foam!

If they really use this on new cars, they're designed for it.  Our cars are not.  Look at a sixties door, the window fuzzies don't keep water out, water gets in, drips down the outer door skin or door panel water-dam paper, and drains out the little holes in the bottom of the door.  (crawl under and look!)  When these little drain holes get clogged with leaves and pine needles, that's when that back corner of the door starts to rust from the inside.   Look at the rear quarter of the American.  There is a drain hole where the inner and outer fender come together at the lowest point that is plugged with some chewing gum like substance from the factory, probably to keep kicked up water from getting in, but it also keeps trunk leak water from getting out.  This is how those quarters can rust from the inside.  Keep this clear and free flowing (and salt free) and the quarters will last, plug it with foam and kiss it goodbye, and ten years from now when someone goes to weld a patch
 panel, well, be prepared to explain.  And while you're looking under the door, look under the rocker panel.  See the drain holes for the rear window?  Are they clear?

What should one use?  First, learn how your car drains and clear out all the passages of dirt and leaves  Flush them out good until the water runs clear.  Dry it completely, compressed air, long drive on a hot day, etc.  Can you do this twice a year?  You may be done.  Any places water won't drain?  You may need an extra drain hole.
Only then do I think one can begin to play with the idea of spraying something inside.  Just make sure it isn't something that will slow down draining.

_