Re: [Amc-list] The 'Turbo' Life Cycle

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Couple thoughts hit me real quick.
> 196's don't have the most stable head gaskets as-is, so are we talking
> O-rings and or possibly copper gaskets to get even 5 lbs of boost to work?

Oh Mark, you're letting reality leak in to the discussion! Damn you!

I honestly don't know what the head gasket issue is in these cars. There
aren't that many head bolts, but it's not THAT bad. They're adequately
sized, and I *think* the  gasket face widths are not bad (I don't recall
any really thin spots, but I didnt' examine with that in mind...)

Is it just that they're always the old-fashioned type? Not the new-style
Felpro blue type? My recent kit was Felpro, but it was old style and
required sealer and all that.

WHY does the TSM recommend "check torque every 4000 miles" and "re-torque
every 8000 miles"? What's happening here?

Bolts backing out?
Gaskets thinning (hot/cold cycling?)
Bolt stretch? (60 ft/lbs ain't a lot!)
Head flexing? (enough cast iron in that head to make a block!)
Old gasket technology?
Weird thermal stuff like hotspots causing localized expansion?
Magic?