Re: [Amc-list] Bedliner

" From: Brien Tourville <hh7x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" <>
"
" Make up a long 'Wand' like used in undercoating kits.
"
" Slide it into the channels - drill some holes where necessary
" & use body plugs.
"
" I'd rinse out the channels & subframes with the rust remover
" I'd posted awhile back - this way - no rust anywhere -
" long life for the vehicle.

this stuff is phosphoric acid based, right?  this is a very common
first step, for example martin senour's 'iron etch', and also a very
common metal prep before welding, as you can weld through the iron
phosphate layer the acid leaves.  btw this layer isn't very strong but
is a water barrier.

if it were me, i'd see if i could follow the phosphoric acid step with
a zinc phosphate rustproofing primer like senour's 'triple etch', then
something like rustoleum or a zinc-rich paint.  i admit getting this
stuff into all the nooks and crannies properly would be even harder
than the initial phosphoric acid wash.

" Been reading on some top dollar Porsche 356 restorations.
" These cars are all 'uni-body' made up of channels & panels.
"
" Not one did anything to protect the interiors of channels -
" longitudinals - windshield surrounds - etc. - a few did
" the 'dip tank' thang too.......
"
" Fifty Thousand dollar restorations are going to be junk
" in twenty years.......Porsche didn't galvanize until 1977.

porsche 914s are in a similar state - desirable cars now mostly junk
due to rust.