Re: [Amc-list] 195.6 OHV Progress

--- Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> How much trash was in the pan? Is it different in
> texture than
> that from an engine with a full-flow filter system?

My engine does have a full flow filter (1965 model)
and there was a little sludgy oil in the bottom of the
pan, but the car sat for 20 years in a barn.

I also pulled the pan from a 1964 engine (without full
flow filter) last night.  There were some goobers of
RTV on the oil screen so I know the engine has been
apart in "modern times".  There was more sludge in
that pan, but the engine is obviously a high mileage
unit that the 65 above, so no scientific comparison is
possible.

> I'd check the rocker arm's wear... the rockers on
> mine are
> really sloppy, and a lot of oil flows to the top
> end. The
> shaft itself was visibly worn, though I didn't mike
> it (dumb)
> I think there wear is around .001 - .002 or so.

There's not much play in my rockers.  I don't think
I'll measure because there's just not much slop.

Joe Fulton