Re: [Amc-list] Oil Filter for 1960 Classic 196ci

No, the top cover is different and won't clear between the oil pump and right chassis rail on the 50-55 Nash Rambler or 58-63 American. The old pump cover is relatively flat and there's only about 1/2" of space between the chassis and pump, IIRC.

-----------
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:05:47 -0500 (EST)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>

" 3. There is a full flow filter system available that will fit the big
" cars, but not the 50-55 Nash Rambler or 58-63 American (it will fit
" the 64 American). All 1965 Americans with the 196 have a full flow oil
" pump and filter. A few late manufacture 64s have been found with them,
" but they may have been added by later owners. The entire oil pump must
" be changed out. The same pump is used on L-head and OHV engines. I'm
" not sure what oil filter it takes, but believe it's the same as the 65
" 232, not the older 196 filter.

would this pump with a remote filter setup fit the early-style
americans?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"