Re: [Amc-list] Oil Filter for 1960 Classic 196ci

Re: [Amc-list] Oil Filter for 1960 Classic 196ci

Don,

The optional oil filter on AMC engines of that era was
a partial flow filter which only filtered a portion of
the oil flow produced by the oil pump.  Nondetergent
oil was commonly used in that era, which allowed the
contaminants to accumulate in the oil pan and not
circulate throughout the engine.  Now of course,
detergent oil is in common use, which tends to keep
contaminants in suspenstion.  An oil filter is more
necessary in today's world.  If it were my car, I
would install an oil filter.

Joe Fulton