Re: [Amc-list] Timing cover, dist.

Mid 12's probably isn't fast enough for point bounce to make much
difference. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the points are just acting as a
trigger for the MSD box which means you're not passing much current
through them. Hot Rod or Car Craft did a distributor shootout in recent
years and I think they were slightly over 5,000 RPM when point bounce
became an issue with a heavy duty point set.

The big advantages electronic ignition has over points are reduced
maintenance (helps keep emissions in check), ability to handle more
current (more spark = more complete combustion, again helping with
emissions), and more stable timing (well maintained points do a decent
job of this but most people don't maintain their cars well which results
in increased emissions). When I put a Pertronix Igniter on my 68
American, I noticed no difference in fuel economy or performance but the
car does start easier and has much better cold drivability with no other
changes.

Matt

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If your stock dist is in good shape and curved correctly, why would you expect a gain?
> The dist is just a switch and if it's good, it's good....
>

> --
> Mark Price
> Morgantown, WV
> 1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
> 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7L, Quadratrc II
> " Chronic Pain Hurts"

> From: amxron <amxron@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Guy's- My car went 12.60 w/stock points dist, a$10 curve kit and a MSD6AL. i
>> added an ACCEL dist and gained nothing, nada, zip. good thing i only paid 40
>> bucks brand new or i would have been p*ssed! Gained the most w/the $10 curve
>> kit.
>> The front cover is made by Crown manufacturing, any parts store should be able
>> to get it for you(they also make the Buick one). Any speed shop can get a good
>> double row chain&gears.BTW- they were stock on AMC cop cars in the 70's.
>>

>> amxron
>> 70 AMX
>> 70 Hornet
>> 78 FSJ Wagoneer